Thursday, November 19, 2009

Guilty pleasure: It's begining to feel a lot like Christmas!

So... I'm one of those people. You know them, the ones who just can't wait to put up their Christmas decorations, dress festively, make peppermint bark and play holiday tunes.

That's me. :D

Confession: I get excited when malls starts putting up their Christmas trees... even if it's the day after Halloween. Or when Hobby Lobby brings out Christmas crafts in September. It gets on your nerves, but it makes me feel jolly.
I made a Christmas station on Pandora yesterday, the 18th of November. I'm listening to it now- Elvis' Winter Wonderland.

Now, I know that Christmas these days is less about Christ and more about presents and Santa. And it is a shame.

Last weekend my mom asked me to make a list of a few things I wanted for Christmas so she could go shopping this weekend. As I sat down last night to think about this, I felt so silly asking for things I really didn't need just because that's what we do on this holiday, give gifts. It was one of those moments where I felt like I was outside myself looking down, watching as a third party- I felt selfish and greedy.

I do think it is possible to be festive and still remember the Birth without getting caught up in the schemes of market capitalization. However, it is a difficult balance and difficult to keep in check.

That's something I'm challenging myself with this holiday season- to enjoy the holiday season but to focus more outside of material gifts. Of course, as I've grown up and matured, my view of Christmas has of course changed, and gifts are naturally less important than they were when I was 5, 10 or 15. But I want to seperate myself from that even more.

There are so many other gifts that are to be treaured- the birth of my Redeemer, laughing with family, a warm meal, making Candace watch Christmas movies, twinkling lights next to homemade ornaments, Daddy building a cozy fire, heart-to-heart talks with Mom at home over break, and hanging out and talking with Logan on my parent's couch like we did in highschool. Health, full bellies, a sturdy house, a heater, each other, our Savior, and love.

There is so much to celebrate.


No comments:

Post a Comment