Thursday, November 12, 2009

We're all in this together.

Amos 5:21-24
"I can't stand your religious meetings. I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals.
I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making.
I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice—oceans of it. I want fairness—rivers of it.
That's what I want. That's all I want."
A week ago tonight I saw Hillsong United's "We're All in This Together" and ever since I have been trying to figure out how to put the way this film stirred my heart into words. I still don't think I can do it effectively, there's so much to say, but I'm going to try.
The film was a kick-off of the I Heart Revolution started by Hillsong United. It really is a complicated film, because it is a complicated world with complicated problems, but the whole point was that we should love others and take action.
The message was powerful. And the verse above stuck out the most to me. Amos 5:21-24. Justice and fairness. As a political science major, I debate over these two topics in classes every week. What do this words mean? Who decides what is just or fair? How do we get them?
The injustices of our world are so vast and heartbreaking. I think of the people living in extreme poverty, the thousands upon thousands sold into slavery and the inexistant education programs around the world. That could have been me. That could have been you. Those people are not just numbers or the characters of stories. They have hopes, dreams, fears, prayers and souls. I confess that I forget this. With a selfish state of mind, I am too often blinded to the needs of others and seeing the humanity in those faces in the pictures and news stories. And the way they have to live their life, while I sit safely in a movie theater, clothed, fed and sipping on a diet coke I paid some of these people's life-savings for, is not fair.
It's frusterating. It's complicated and overwhelming. So what do we do? It's a big question.
One of the things that one of the band members said is that sometimes the one thing he knows is the one thing. Love. Love God, love people. I think that's just it.
We are called to love these people and to bring justice and fairness. That's what He wants. Through our prayers, through our actions. Not just overseas, but here at home. There is brokeness everywhere.
I am a selfish sinner and I have been so convicted over this lately. So often I get so caught up in living this competative way of life, looking out for myself and trying to stay ahead. And what does it matter? It doesn't. I want His eyes. I want His love for my neighbor and mankind. I'm praying for them.
Justice and fairness.
Love God, love people. My new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment