Sunday, December 20, 2009

To-Read List:

I'm a bookworm. I love, love, love to read and have since I was a little girl. With school out for winter break, I have plenty of time to read the books that have been piling up on my nightstand and desk all semester. 13 books in 4 weeks? I'm up to the challenge.

  • Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis. Love C.S. Lewis. He is brilliant and insightful.
  • Leading Ladies- Kay Bailey Hutchinson. I'm a history nerd and a fan of the woman pioneers who helped shape our nation's history.
  • Freakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner. Explains the hidden side of everything, answering questions like "Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?" Random explantatory information about society- right up my alley.
  • Three Cups of Tea- Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin. A man building schools for girls in Pakistan. The "power of the humanitarian spirit."
  • The Reader- Bernhard Schlink. I like to read books before I see the movies, and the Goodwins told me this was a beautiful one.
  • Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger. Writer of The Time Traveler's Wife. That book made my favorites list so I had to give this one a shot.
  • The Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold. Again, have to read it before I see it, because if I do not, it the story will surely be ruined. Taylor recommended it.
  • Tomcat in Love- Tim O'Brien. O'Brien is a great author and I have been wanting to read another one of his books for a while. I completely judged this book by it's cover and the summary on the back- judge me. :)
  • The Audacity of Hope- Barack Obama. Since he is our president and leader of the free world, I thought I should read his book and better see his perspective on things. I have no doubt he is as good of a writer as he is a speaker.
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World- John Piper & Justin Taylor. My Life Group read this this fall. I came in at the end of the semester and was only able to read the last chapter. I'm excited to see the wisdom in the rest of the book.
  • The Secret History of the American Empire- John Perkins. Dara got this for me for Christmas. The subtitle reads "Economic hit men, jackals, and the truth about global corruption." Corruption, conspiracy and corporate manipulation? She knows me well. Ha.
  • Breaking Free- Beth Moore. My WIL group started this last year and I'm just finishing.
  • Going Rogue- Sarah Palin. Please do not label me as a Sarah Palin supporter because I would not call myself one at all. Nevertheless, she is a very interesting character and I was just curious to see what lay between these pages. So far there have been some moose eyeballs and a lot of Alaskan pride.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Macie! I came across your blog not too long ago... We have a lot of the same books on our "reading list." I just started Three Cups of Tea, I want to read the Lovely Bones, and it's definitely worthwhile to finish Breaking Free. Reading about your life definitely makes me miss you!

    love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete